Pumpkin Cream Pie
I got my pumpkin pie recipe from Martha Stewart. Again, not a huge fan of this traditional Thanksgiving dessert but I love love LOVED it!! I even made it again a couple of weeks later. Although I put the link, here is the recipe.
- 1 Basic Pie Crust, rolled and fitted into a 9-inch pie plate (I used a premade Pillsbury pie crust to save time and energy)
- 1 can (15 ounces) pure pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin-pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin (from a 1/4-ounce envelope)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
The gelatin part might sound weird, but it helps the homemade whip cream keep its shape. You can’t taste it so no worries!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Press a sheet of aluminum foil onto crust, draping over rim of pie plate. To blind-bake: Fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake until edge of crust is firm, about 20 minutes. Remove beans and foil; let crust cool completely, and set aside.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees. Make filling: In a medium bowl, whisk together pumpkin, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, pie spice, vanilla, and salt; whisk in cream. Pour mixture into cooled crust; place pie plate on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until filling is set, about 1 hour. Let cool on a wire rack, 1 hour; refrigerate to cool completely, about 2 hours.
- Make topping: Place 3 tablespoons cold water in a small saucepan; sprinkle with gelatin, and let soften, about 5 minutes. Place pan over very low heat; stir until gelatin dissolves. Let cool slightly. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream and sugar until very soft peaks form. While beating, slowly add gelatin mixture; continue to beat until soft peaks form.
- With a rubber spatula, mound topping in center of chilled pie. Refrigerate at least 1 hour more (or up to 1 day). Sprinkle with more cinnamon before serving.
Take Home Gift: Potted Pumpkin Pies
I found this really cute idea for a party favor here and had to try it! I used the Martha Stewart Pumpkin Cream Pie recipe but then just put it in little mason jars for people to take with them. It was a hit!
You can find the directions here to make your own!
And that was our Thanksgiving Dinner!!
Hope you enjoyed the little walk through. Let me know if you try the recipes and how you like them!