For my best friend’s bridal shower we had a FIESTA theme! Holli loves chips and salsa so we had a salsa bar with different homemade salsas. I got the idea from here but used a few different recipes.
[from this lady]
- canned tomatoes
- 6 fresh jalapenos
- 3 fresh green chilies (I used Serrano cause I couldn’t find green chilies at my grocery store. I know, lame.)
- 2 bunches green onions
- 2 bunches cilantro
- 4 cloves garlic
- heaping tablespoon kosher salt (I used regular… I don’t know if that made a difference but I just forgot to buy kosher salt)
- Wash jalapenos and green chilies and roast them on a hot skillet. Let the skins char and blister and remove from heat.
- Trim roots from green onions and give them a rough slice
- Wash and drain cilantro, cut them just above the rubber band, and place them on top of green onion slices
- Mince onions and cilantro until desired size (I cannot mince for the life of me but I tried!)
- Remove and discard stems from chilies and peppers. Depending on how hot you want, leave seeds and veins in or take them out. Cut chilies and peppers into one inch slices.
- Peel garlic cloves.
- Toss garlic, chilies, and peppers into blender. Spoon tomatoes and juice until canister is about 2/3 full. Blend well.
- Pour into mixing bowl and blend more tomatoes (it says about 2 more blenders full but I did one more)
- Combine to onions and cilantro
- Add kosher salt and taste.
Tomatillo Salsa Verde
- 1 1/2 lb tomatillos (I used canned tomatillos)
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1/2 cilantro leaves
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice (I used bottled since that’s what I had on hand. Maybe it made a difference??)
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 jalapeno pepper or 2 Serrano peppers, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- Salt to taste
- Remove papery husks from tomatillos and rinse well.
(I used canned so I skipped to the third step)
- Roasting method Cut in half and place cut side down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Place under a broiler for about 5-7 minutes to lightly blacken the skin.
Boiling method Place tomatillos in a saucepan, cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove tomatillos with a slotted spoon.
- Place tomatillos, lime juice, onions, cilantro, chili peppers, sugar in a food processor (or blender) and pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped and mixed. Season to taste with salt. Cool in refrigerator.
- 1 (15 ounce) can yellow corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can white corn, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 bunch finely chopped cilantro
- 5 green onions, finely sliced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup lime juice (again, bottled)
- 1 avocado – peeled, pitted, and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or to taste
- Stir the yellow and white corn, black beans, tomatoes, cilantro, green onion, red onion, bell pepper, and garlic in a large bowl.
- Gently mix in the lime juice and avocado.
- Drizzle with olive oil to serve.
from McCormick packet :)